Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I just received a hefty fine for being overweight on a

Customer Question

I just received a hefty fine for being overweight on a weight restriction road. Date on officers paperwork is dated wrong. Dated for the following day.
What does this meen if I fight this in court. ???
Can this void the ticket ???
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear that this happened to you.

This will not void the ticket. When the officer learns of the error they will just amend the ticket.

But that does not mean you cannot fight this in court.

What some people do when they get a tickets is they plead not guilty and then they attend court. At court, well before the trial, they speak to the officer and/or the Crown and indicate that they are willing to plead guilty to a lesser offence. For example, it could be that you would plead guilty to a ticket that would hold a lesser fine.

In most but not all cases the Crown wants to do this to save the Crown and the judge time. No one wants to see trial after trial so these tickets are usually able to be solved favourably for all parties by pleading guilty to a lesser offence.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?