Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

A police offer called me recently regarding a cash deposit

Customer Question

A police offer called me recently regarding a cash deposit made into my bank account in which I sold bitcoins for. The person who made the cash deposit got scammed by someone and i have already delivered the bitcoins to that scammer. What kind of warrants can the officer obtain in this case?
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I am located in Toronto ,Ontario.
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 27 days ago.
If the police obtain a search warrant they can obtain and review your bank records. In order to obtain such a warrant, they would need to satisfy a Justice of the Peace that there are reasonable grounds to believe you committed a criminal offence and the bank records obtained through warrant (if granted) would provide evidence of that offence. If the police cannot satisfy the JP of this then the warrant will be refused and they will be unable to obtain and review your bank records. Hopefully that answers your question
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
What is the chance that the police will succeed in obtaining a warrant to look through my bank records? The victim that got scammed made the cash deposit into my bank account. When they obtain a search warrant, are they allowed to come to my house and search my place on top of going through my bank records?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Is it a different warrant they need to obtain in order to look through my bank records + enter my house and look through my computer?
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 26 days ago.

They can only search the locations listed in the warrant, so they'd only be able to search your home if they can convince a JP that it's likely evidence will be at your home. From what you've told me, that's unlikely since it's mostly bank trails. It's all a warrant, though the grounds and reasons for searching different places and items differ. I cannot say the chances of them succeeding as neither I nor you know the extent of the evidence they have on hand nor how avidly they wish to investigate this matter.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Please give me a call. I have sent a request for a phone call

I clicked to accept but a note came up saying: "Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation."

I will wait until this is sorted out then will be happy to discuss the matter with you.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive credit for my services. Thank you.

Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 25 days ago.

Sorry to bother you but would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive credit for my services. Thank you.

Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 24 days ago.