Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I worked for a company that ws sold and i was not informed

Customer Question

i worked for a company that ws sold and i was not informed or let go. i found out this morning who purchased the company .i have missed out on almost 2 months of work because of it is there any way i can get compinsation?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: i live in alberta canada Calgary
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not as of yet i just found the info this morning. but i have been informed i ws intentionally kept out of the loop and i have not been offically terrminated
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the old owner sold his assets in canada to move to cambodia
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 28 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I don't understand.

How did you lose two months work if you were not dismissed?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No shifts were scheduled. I wasnt fired layed off of dismissed in any other way

So starting two months ago you suddenly found that out of the blue you had no work and this went on and on? If so what did you do about it? Did this happen to anyone else?

How long did you work for this employer for?

Are you in a union?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Im non union. Everyone else was let go layed off or fired. From what ive been able to find out there was specific instructions not to let me know anbout the sale of the company. This would of been the second year i was with that company. Since then ive been able to find a part time job. I tried calling in to find out what was going on but my calls were never answered. The shop biulding isnt onwed by the same person anymore so stopping by was not helpful either
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I still havent recieved a RoE either

Was your employer a corporation?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Not to my knowledge
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The company in question is Kilroy professional window cleaners

Then your former employer owes you both the ROE and termination pay.

I suggest that you contact the Employment Standards Branch at once and have them assist you in getting any pay owing which will likely include vacation pay as well as your termination pay and your ROE.

Had you worked there longer than a year or so you might be entitled to more than the minimum termination pay provided by the Act and then it would make sense speaking to a lawyer but since you've not worked there two years it is not likely worth any legal fees unfortunately.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.