Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Was employed in Prov. of Alberta. Was receiving term

Customer Question

Was employed in Prov. of Alberta. Was receiving long term disability thru Great
West Life. In 2009 they kicked me to the curb with very little advance notice. Therefore,
leaving me with no income for 3 months. Had to scramble to get my gov. pension and
CPP disability in place. No problem getting CPP Disability. Because I had no income for
3 months I lost my Blue Cross and Dental and $100,000 in life insurance. For 7 years I
have been in a very intense depression. I have paid for all my prescriptions and dental
bills out of pocket. Dental itself has cost me nearly $20,000.
After I started my CPP Disability, CPP sent me a cheque for around $15,000. Used this to
pay down my bills. Since 2009 Great West Life put a lien on my credit report for $11,---
and they refuse to drop it, even after I told them my woes and my wish to really not be on this earth. They could not care less.
The question is Was it legal for them to place a lean on my credit report for not signing
that cheque over to them?
I am 66 years old now and my future is bleak.
Rita Nieuwenhuis
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 25 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you saying that Great Life wanted to be reimbursed for the monies you received while you were also receiving benefits from them?

Also, are you saying that this report first went onto your credit record in 2009?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
the monies I received from CPP after the fact were backdated and Great West Life
claimed these monies should belong to them and therefore placed the lean onto my credit
rating back in 2009. tried again a month ago to have it removed. No luck
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 24 days ago.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

By a lien you mean a credit report, right?

Is this equifax or transunion?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Not much more to add Just want to know whether what they did was legal?

Please answer my questions. Here they are again:

Is this equifax or transunion?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I do not know how they put the lien on. Just know through the CIBC that it was in place
3 years ago when I tried to purchase a mobile home in a certain MHP in Kelowna and was
not accepted because of the lien. Now that I have amassed a $30,000 debt and need to
downsize again the bank will not lend me any monies. How do you downsize from a mobile home? Rita
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Do you need more info? Rita

This does not add up.

Either there is a lien on property that you own such as the mobile home or there is a report on your credit rating.

Which is it?

There is not a lien on your credit record.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
There is a report on my credit rating. Sorry about that I am 66,losing memory
and sometime confused. Sometimes find it hard to pull a word from my head.
Would be long gone if I did not have a dog. I am alone with no friends. Rita

I am saddened to hear that.

I will try and help from this end as much as I can.

Where is the report? Is it with Transunion or equifax?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Is there anything else you need so that you can answer my question of whether what they did
was legal. Are you trying to text me? I do not know how to text. So please don't go that way.
Rita
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I once upon a time had brains and was good and dedicated to my job as a Security
Officer at the University of Lethbridge for 20 plus years. Because of my job I had to have
both my knees replaced, one in 2000 and the other in 2005. And in this time also developed
degenerative disc disease. This was not enough for Great West Life. Rita
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
My pic is 2 years old. Send yours so I can have a face to speak to.

Is the report with Transunion or Equifax. You said you tried to get it removed. Whom did you speak with?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I e-mailed GreatWest Life, cannot remember the name of the contact person. Rita

I still need to know where the credit report is filed.

There are two possible credit reporting agencies.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
OK I will have to go to my bank for the phone number to get a copy of my credit report.

That's a great idea.

Get the report and then reply back to me.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
OK shall do.

Don't reply back again now as I need to be the last one to reply so the question doesn't stay on my open list but reply back when you get the report.

Thanks and take good care for now.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
OK my Equifax score is 669. Should have delved deeper into this one. Did not get the numbers I needed. Now cannot get back in. Did that with Transunion. Score there is 657.
But they show me owing $45,---, so Great West Life's claim is in what I owe. At the CIBC
I owe only $33,---. So that GWL claim is on Trans Union and probably on Equifax. And there you go. Rita

I don't need the score.

I want to hear what day the debt was registered and what it says about the debt.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
The $11,--- was put into place on Oct. 3, 2011 with TransUnion. Hope that helps.
Rita
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
That was what I called a lien {probably wrong word} from Great West Life. Hope I can
get back to the same person who was helping me. Rita
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Checked again with Trans Union and there is no notation under Great West Life's
claim. Rita
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 23 days ago.

I am the same lawyer. No one but me will answer.

This will come off your record on October 3, 2017. There is not likely any way you can get it removed as it is a debt you owe.

The reason why you owe this money is that the law is clear in that you are required to adhere to the terms of your insurance policy and in there, without a doubt, is a provision that says you must apply for all sources of funding. In a sense the insurance benefits you get from Great West Life are a last resort. So when you got the CPP disability benefits you owed them to the insurers.

But you had told me that this debt was owing back in 2009 and if that is the case it should have come off your credit report in 2015. So if you can prove to TransUnion that the debt was owed back in 2009 they will remove the record now.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 22 days ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks for all your answers. Just got overwhelmed with it all and needed some time
to get back to you. Rita
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 10 days ago.

Could you please rate me now? I should have been paid two weeks almost two weeks ago but the site wont pay me until you rate me.

If you have follow-up questions let me know.