Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I got married to an illegal immigrant and well we are

Customer Question

i got married to an illegal immigrant and well we are thinking to move to canada if i leave first can i ask for him and get his papers started or what can i do.
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: no we started gathering the papers we need to give them for we can start but sorry to say since trump won we afraid that they will want to deport him so through that process that will take a year or two we dont want to take our chances that he can be deported
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes we gathering up the paper work they need to sign the contract
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 27 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry about the delay. You are a U.S. Citizen or you are a Canadian citizen?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I am a U.S Citizen

You want to know how you and your out of status spouse can obtain Canadian Residency status? I may have to transfer your question over to the proper forum.