Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My daughter is marrying an american. He is in the process of

Customer Question

my daughter is marrying an american. He is in the process of seeking residency in Canada, however in the interim he has hired a lawyer in Texas (where he is from) to draft up a prenup agreement. My daughters lawyer here tells us that he is unfamiliar with the terminology being used and suggests that the prenup agreement be drafted once they are certain as to where they are going to live.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: texas
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

The lawyer in Canada is correct.

It isn't even just about the terminology but also about the law.

They will both want to be sure that their agreement reflects the law where they will be living and where their assets will be for the most part.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has a private income via a trust fund that is located and will remain in Texas. This means that their assessts will not be completly here in Canada. That being the case how does this work?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I can afford no more money.
Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

They would need to make sure that where ever they live the contract complies both with their home jurisdiction and the laws of Texas.

Expert:  Debra replied 4 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?