Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I purchased an electric motored reclining chair from a

Customer Question

I purchased an electric motored reclining chair from a furniture store in Oshawa, Ontario.
I am not satisfied and wish to return the chair.I called on the phone and so indicated.The immediate response is that tgey have a NO RETURN POLICY.i ENQUIRED further and she said that they have a 40% RESTOCKING FEE CHARGE.
Then, the representative offered to repair the mechanism if there is a problem; I indicated that i was dissatisfied and wished to repair the damage, The company did not indicate any circumstances under which I could return the chair except for my accepting a restocking fee of 40 percent.
Am I wrong in respect of my interpretation of my right re a return within 30 days ??
Patrick Alleyne
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that this happened to you.

Who told you that you had 30 days to make a return?

Are you saying the chair is defective.

What do you mean when you say you said you wished to make the repair or is that a typo?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i am of the opinion that the ontario consumer protection act allows 30 days
I am dissatisfied with the electrical mechanism
I did not say that i wanted repair done.They said that trhey are willing to repair if that is my wishg.
I prefer to simply return the chair.I do not like the mechanism

Unfortunately, that is not at all correct about the Consumer Protection Act. There are four types of contracts that have a 10 day cooling off period but this is not one of them. There is no 30 day right to cancel in the Act at all.

Store policy governs returns and their policy is no return without a 40% cancellation fee then that is generally what governs.

But if the chair is defective that is another matter.

Could you prove that it is?

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i AM QUITE SATISFIED WITH THE GUIDANCE TO THIS POINT.Thank you.

That is great to hear. Please rate me now then. I didn't get paid when I did the work as you didn't rate me before you left the site. The site will not release my portion of what you paid them to me until you rate me.

Thanks