Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

We need to know the Canadian laws that match 3 different

Customer Question

We need to know the Canadian laws that match 3 different charges.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: NH, but no charges here. A DWI and leaving the scene of an accident (separate incidents) in MA, and a military charge of smuggling arms for sending s souvenir gun home from Iraq.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: We have everything made out and references, but can't file until we get this info. I don't know what you mean by reported.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. I'm afraid to give my credit card. Is there any other way to pay?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thanks for the question.

I see that you posted a second thread too, asking about the first.

Firstly, please understand that the experts aren't site employees. We're just people working from home. And on a Sunday night there aren't many of us around. I'm not at the site offices or at a call center. I'm at home, baking and doing laundry.

I saw the question, and it didn't make a lot of sense to me.

If these three incidents took place in the US, why are you asking about Canadian laws?

I'll ask the site to close your other thread.

Also, it looks like you have a subscription? Or did you put down a deposit for this question? I'm just trying to help you figure out how to use the site better.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, thanks because the site is difficult to navigate. I asked the site about your timeline because initially, before I paid any money, the para said she was connecting me with an attorney. Then the whole paying thing took quite a while and actually hooked up to the wrong account which upset my son.
I own a place on PEI. We were bringing up a bed and my husband got flagged(Canada doesn't accept used bedding). So now my husband can't cross the border.
Everything is filled out on the form to possibly be readmitted as rehabilitated except the equivalent crime in Canadian law.
We got ripped off pretty badly by an attorney down here, so I'm very hesitant to put money down with anybody with an answer. It seems like something pretty straight forward to me.
After I paid - and I did sign up for the free trial week and then one month because I thought there might be some back and forth- the site said my estimated wait time was 8 minutes. That was a few 8 minutes ago. I understand it might take more than 8 minutes to do the research.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can have my husband give you s call tomorrow or we could set up a time for you to call him.

The average to get a first reply from an expert might be 8 minutes... but that's the average and not on Canada Law on a Sunday night.

I'm sorry you didn't get good value from the lawyer you saw "down here". Where is down here? You're in PEI and your husband is in the US?

I don't do phone calls. I'm a lawyer in Ontario, but the site is based in the US and it isn't a law firm.

So, your husband needs help filling out the form to cross the border into Canada, right? He got flagged for the bedding and then they found his record and turned him away?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The last part is correct.
We both live in New Hampshire, but my husband, Richard, is working on a job in Philadelphia right now. He has received a federa clearance for a job he was working on a while ago, but after the military charge. He was demoted one rank, from E8 to E7, served a month in a military jail in Kuwait, and was fined $1000 which was forgiven so we didn't have to pay it. He received an honorable discharge and served 29 years. That was in 2004/2004.
The DWI happened in the early 90s and was supposed to be off his record after a certain amount of time, but either there was a mistake or they don't do that anymore. He lost his license for 6 months and may have had a probationary period.
Leaving the scene happened before I knew him - late 70s? I don't think any people were involved. He hit some property. I forget the details, but I can find out.

OK, this is as much an immigration question as a criminal law question. I don't know if any of the few experts here in Canada Law have any experience in this matter, but we'll find out. I'm going to opt out as your expert so that the others can see the question.

I don't know how long this will take, maybe more time than you want it to. Your husband should be pursuing other avenues for help too, perhaps at the Canadian consulate at the nearest city. Just a suggestion.

Good luck

Ulysses

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.