Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My granddaughter is 16 yrs. She lived with me for her first

Customer Question

My granddaughter is 16 yrs. She lived with me for her first 12 yrs, which I raised her from infant. She went to live with her mom at age 12 yrs. Then left her mom's home at 15 yrs, stayed with me for 3 months, which then my daughter signed her into foster care on an voluntary agreeement.My granddaughter refused to go back to foster care last night.
JA: Have any papers been filed in family court regarding this matter?
Customer: All of my paperwork is with a previous lawyer.
JA: Because laws vary based on location, what state are you in?
Customer: BC
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Last night my granddaughter phoned the children and youth helpline, to tell them she's refusing to go back to the foster care home. She missed curfew, although she told them where she is. I also told the foster care home that she was at my home. The foster care people get 905.00 per month per youth, and don't want to loose the income. The social worker said I was not to have her for overnights. Although there is no real valid reason, as she is not in any harm in any way of her being in my home.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Does my granddaughter's refusal to return to foster care put me in any legal concerns, as being charged. Even though she can leave any time to go back to the foster care home?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She phoned the child and youth hotline to tell them of her decision to leave and where she will be. Plus she informed the foster care home. and they put out a missing child report to the police. Can the police make her return to the foster care home? What actions do the social workers have legal rights to in situations like these?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What can my granddaughter do to remain in my home again? I work shift work. Does this have an bearing on her remaining with me?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The social worker is very antagonistic towards me.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have given the local phone number for the youth advocate to my granddsughter to phone. But she probably won't be able to reach them at the earliest is mondsy. If they can help her at all.
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Should I assume that you don't have any custodial authority here?

Why does the mother want the child back in foster care at age 15?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My granddaughter had an issue with the mother's boyfriend, and doesn't want her in the home.
I live alone, and can support my granddaughter. I work shift work. My 16 yr. old granddaughter is not a difficult youth. She goes to school, abd I'm envouraging her to wirk after school, weekends.
I am supposed to have joint custody, and don't believe my daughter had the legal right without consulation to sign my granddaughter over to foster care. Yet, it was done!
My legal psperwork is with a previous lawyer. Should I still be able to have access to the paperwork from this lawyer?
The foster care is only a voluntary agreement that my daughter signed. Does that mean she has no say over her 16 yr. old daughter. Can the social worker charge me for allowing my granddaughter in my home overnight, when she didn't return to her foster care last night? The social worker said verbally that she couldn't be in my home ivernight until theur was a meeting between her and I. Some accusations were said about me, which is just heresay/slander.
How do I keep this concern from esculating.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm at work. Do depenfing on when you phone, I may not be sble to converse on the phone with you about my mstter.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I work as a security officer full time, so my life is completely clean. There are no real concerns.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not getting a real answer here that is helpful with my questions and concerns.