Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

We own a condo in Ontario. Have owned for about 20 years.

Customer Question

We own a condo in Ontario. Have owned for about 20 years. Shortly after moving in the condo corporation came along and said that it was found that the bathroom exhaust fans only exhausted into the attic crawl space and was causing mold. They fixed the fans so they exhausted through the roof but did nothing the remediate the mold. Now 20 some odd years later, one of the units was subject to home inspection as part of a sale agreement and mold was found in the attic. Condo corporation inspects all units and finding mold in most units. The condo board is saying some of the mold is result of poor roof installation (4 years ago a steel roof was installed over asphalt roof and some areas were not installed properly) but they say that some of the units with mold are going to be the responsibility of the unit owner. They are having mold specialist to come in and determine what is cause for each unit. I feel that as nothing was done 20 some odd years ago to clean up the mold, what is to say that the current mold issues don't stem back to that. Before I get slapped with a huge bill from the condo corporation for remediating the mold I would like some advise on whether the condo corporation could be held responsible and not the unit owners ???
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

No unit owner can be responsible unless the unit owner caused the damage.

That is not likely even possible given your facts.

You don't own the attic and were not responsible for the exhaust fans or the roof.

This is going to have to be paid for by the condo corp.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?