Daniel Freudman, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
70961067

What if someone goes online dating and finds someone which

Customer Question

What if someone goes online dating and finds someone which she dates for a short period and finds out she is dating an illegal immigrant who originally took vacation from Mexico and then never returned? She does not want to get involved so she stopped seeing him. She's been before to his place and he's been before to her house. Will she get in trouble with the law as accomplise or is it enough she stops any contact with him?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 1 month ago.

Given the fact this woman had no prior knowledge of the illegal resident status, and did not knowingly do anything to facilitate him (e.g. cover for him, or mislead authorities, etc.), I can see no possible crime on her behalf. Aiding & abetting are types of criminal liability that occur only if there's a clear intention to assist in the offence (e.g. driving a getaway car, urging a person to commit an assault, etc.). Simply dating someone who, unbeknownst to the woman was an illegal immigrant would not suffice. So no, I cannot see her getting into any trouble with the law (unless of course she lies to police and says she never met the guy, or says they're married, or otherwise commits a separate offence). But what you've advised me alone would not be criminal and the woman should have no issues with any law enforcement.

Hopefully that answers your questions.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive compensation for my services. Thank you.

Sorry to bother you but would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive compensation for my services. Thank you.