Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

For canada temporary residency, can i apply for open work

Customer Question

For canada temporary residency, can i apply for open work permit from outside canada? As a spouse of canadian citizen
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Is your spouse going to sponsor you for permanent residency status?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
same time with the work permit or immediately after the ope work permit
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.
That will not work. It is the wrong order. You are not entitled to an open work permit until the sponsorship application starts. So you can come to visit, start the application, remain and work when you get the permit. Or you can get a closed temporary work permit, then move here and then the sponsorship application can start and after that if you want an open work permit you can get one. Does that answer your question?Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

That will not work.

It is the wrong order.

You are not entitled to an open work permit until the sponsorship application starts.

So you can come to visit, start the application, remain and work when you get the permit.

Or you can get a closed temporary work permit, then move here and then the sponsorship application can start and after that if you want an open work permit you can get one.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.