Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

With respect to presidential immunity, supposing a

Customer Question

With respect to presidential immunity, supposing a presidential candidate faces trial for a civil or criminal offence, and wins the election, would the rights of the plaintiffs to have their day in court be compromised? In other words, would winning the election enable or enhance the ability of the defendant to avoid trial?
JA: What are the exact charges, and where does the matter stand as of now?
Customer: Well, let's start with say, fraud, tax evasion, sexual assault?
JA: Because laws vary based on location, what state are you in?
Customer: I am in Canada, and am trying to understand the US take on executive immunity.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well, I was looking for an academic answer to a question obviously related to the current presidential election in your country.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, and thank you for the question. I'm a Canadian lawyer from Ontario on the Canada Law category of this site as an expert.

You're in Canada but you say that you have a potential lawsuit against a US presidential candidate? Can you tell me more about what's going on? Obviously you shouldn't use any details that can identify you.

This is a US based site. Perhaps you should be talking to a US lawyer about this since you're contemplating a civil suit in the US?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I have an academic interest in this question, not a personal one, and I have no intention of launching a suit against a US presidential candidate. The issue is one of principle, namely whether a person's election to the presidency prejudices the interests of other persons or institutions that had earlier initiated court actions -- criminal or civil -- against that candidate. But I will take up your suggestion and pursue this line of inquiry in other forums. Thank you for your attention.

You're welcome.

You posted this in the Canada Law forum. If you like, I'll ask the site to move it to the US Law General category where I'm sure an expert there will pick it up? Even though you're in Canada it's a US law question, right?

I didn't hear back from you. Did you want me to put you in touch with the US lawyers on the site?

Are you on a subscription? If not, your deposit is still being held by the site. How would you like to proceed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think I will wait for the upshot of tomorrow's election. Thank you.

As you wish. I'll be here, and watching it myself.

If you want to close this thread and get your deposit back, you only have to ask customer service.