Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My ex employer had spyware on my work computer and amongst

Customer Question

My ex employer had spyware on my work computer and amongst other things, accessed my NEXUS account? is that legal since it was her computer and network or can I do something about it?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Did you believe you had privacy when using the computer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she actually sent me a text with a screenshot of being in my NEXUS account after I was wrongfully dismissed.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I don't want a to call please advise by chat

Were you permitted to have your own password ***** she did not know?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Passwords were suppose to be secure no matter what site, NEXUS is an extremely secret site, I am surprised you are not aware of it, are you suggesting because it is her network she can access anything I did including bank accounts?

I am not suggesting anything. I have not made any comment about NEXUS.

I asked one simple question.

I am not asking about a password ***** a site.

I am asking if your computer was password ***** and if so whether she had a right to know that password.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it was and no she should not have had the password ***** she had the IT supplier access everyone's email and read them without telling anyone she was doing it. As the security officer the supplier told me after she started to read them, I did not realize she was accessing personal accounts until she sent me a snap shot of my NEXUS accountthanks - Donnie

The law is that if you had a reasonable expectation of privacy then she acted unlawfully. But if she as the employer told you that you have no privacy and that she can and may access your computer then she did not act unlawfully.

Since she went so far as to put spyware into your computer I would say she clearly acted unlawfully unless she told you she may access you computer at any time.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?