Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I currently have a 2 year work visa, recently married, early

Customer Question

I currently have a 2 year work visa, recently married, early this year applied for my spousal permanent residence and we recently had a child.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: sent in an application under my wife spousal family permanent residence.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet because I not sure what my options are. I'm having much psychological and emotional difficulty with my wife and using our new born baby as a pawn!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what are my legal options should my spouse decide not to sponsor me and I now have my baby born here in Alberta?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Are you on an open work permit because of the spousal sponsorship?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this is correct.

It could cause you to be in a very difficult situation if your wife ends the sponsorship and if you separate then the sponsorship cannot legally continue.

It is possible that you could get PR status either as a skilled worker if that applies or perhaps under the Humanitarian and Compassionate ground because of the child.

It is by far better to get your PR status before you separate.

I suggest that at this point in time you see two different lawyers and not tell your spouse you are doing so. You should first see an immigration lawyer and then a family lawyer.

I don't know your province but if you provide it to me I may be able to suggest a way to find these lawyers easily.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I prefer to communicate via email because I have to usually read your answers more than once to appreciate the total understanding and I have trouble after a few days to remember what was spoken. With emails I can always look back to reference.

I actually cannot speak on the phone in any event. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?