Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I RECEIVED A NOTICE ON MY DOOR TODAY THAT I NEED TO REMOVE

Customer Question

I RECEIVED A NOTICE ON MY DOOR TODAY THAT I NEED TO REMOVE ONE OF MY DOGS AS THE CONDO ONLY ALLOWS ONE PET PER UNIT. I HAVE PURCHASE THE CONDO. CAN THEY MAKE ME GET RID OF MY DOG - ONE IS 15 1/2 YEARS OLD AND THE OTHER IS 11 YEARS OLD WITH AN ENLARGED HEART. BOTH DONT HAVE MUCH LONGER TO GO, HOWEVER I DO NOT WANT TO PUT ONE OF THEM DOWN WHEN THERE IS NO REASON...SEEMS KINDA CRUEL TO ME. I HAVE BEEN GIVEN UNTIL NOVEMBER 11TH TO DISPOSE OF ONE OF THEM...YIKES - THE WORDING WAS KINDA RUDE
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: BRAMPTON, ONTARIO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO - THATS IT
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear that this is happening.

Did you know that the condo had a by-law about one pet only before you bought it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Then I am not quite sure why you believe you can have two dogs.

Do others have two dogs?

Please explain a bit more.

Did you just move in?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just moved in on September 24th of this year..... I am not sure if anyone else has 2 dogs because I don't know anyone

So did you not understand that these by-laws were enforceable?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, lots of people have dogs and Superintendant saw the two dogs first day we moved in and said nothing

If lots of people have two dogs then you will be OK as the law is that all owners have to be treated the same.

But if all these owners have one dog, which means they are enforcing the by-law fairly and consistently then the can and in fact must enforce it in you case and in that case they will start fining you and the fines will increase and then they will register a lien if you don't pay them and can take steps to have the condo seized and sold.

You can say that you were not advised that the by-law was enforceable and that the dogs, especially the one, are old and sick and will die soon and ask for some time but they do not have to give it to you.

I am sorry to have to give you this news.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?