Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My mother was Canadian, my father American. Both are

Customer Question

My mother was Canadian, my father American. Both are deceased. I was born in the USA. Can I get dual citizenship American/ Canadian?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

You already have dual citizenship.

Because you are born in the US you are automatically an American citizen.

Because your mother was Canadian when you were born you are automatically Canadian. You simply have to apply for proof of citizenship. You can do so here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp

Once you get proof you can then apply for a Canadian passport if you wish to get one.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. What then would be the status of my children, born in the USA ?
Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

They would not be Canadians as they are in the second generation born abroad and so the rule doesn't apply to them. It just applies to the first generation born abroad.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?