Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

A quick question.. Is there any avenue within Canadian Law

Customer Question

A quick question.. Is there any avenue within Canadian Law to sue someone for uttering a threat, and specifically for uttering a threat against a minor?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ontario
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: With Police? Statement taken, but no action
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is complex.. Minor auto-pedestrian incident.. Pedestrian threatens the driver.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

Did the driver suffer damages as a result of the threat?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Nothing physical.. But emotionally traumatized.
Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

You can sue on behalf of the minor if you can show damages.

That would have to be proven by medical expert evidence so if your child (I am assuming you are a parent who is reacting just as I would!) does need medical assistance for this then you should have your child seen at once so you can get a report for court.

Without proof of damages the court cannot make an order for them even thought the defendant can be found liable.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?