Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I'm not sure if I've come to the right place or not...I

Customer Question

Hi there! I'm not sure if I've come to the right place or not...I currently own a catering company which is on contract to run the restaurant at a golf course and we lease the building from the golf course The golf course is currently in negotiation to sell the business to the city we are in and I am curious what would happen to my contract with ownership being sold
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: I'm in Canada, Edmonton
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: nothing yet no. They have not announced it and it is being kept quiet until it is finalized. We are negotiating my contract for future years right now and I was hoping there was something I could put in the contract to make sure if the golf course is sold that I either keep my lease or have to get bought out of the contract
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

The lease cannot be broken by the old or new owners. It will bind the new owners.

So you will be in the same position with the new owners as you would with the old.

If that were not the case then putting something in the lease now would not matter because if the lease did not bind the new owners it would not matter what it said.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What would make the lease not bind?

Nothing. A lease runs with the land and any new owner will know that. They can certainly offer to buy you out but you don't have to agree of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, that's everything i needed to know!

You are very welcome.

If we are done please rate me before you leave the site so that I can receive credit for my work.

Thanks and take good care.