Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My 94 old aunt sold her house in june of this year. The

Customer Question

My 94 old aunt sold her house in june of this year. The buyer is now fighting with neighbour in back over a fence which is 3 meters inside buyers property. In all its about 950 sq.ft. Neighbour in back says that portion of land is now his due to Quebec law . Notary for buyer noticed this on certificate of location and was talked about prior to signing with little concerns at the time. This situation has existed for over 30 years. The fence ( chain link and cedars) was installed by previous owner of aunts house. New buyer now wants 15000 dollars reduction for this issue. She has been owner over 3 months now. Can buyer come after my aunt after she signed in front of notary. Sam jofre. Montreal, QC
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Are you saying the buyer knew of the situation but still went ahead and bought the property?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

As you did not hide this from the buyer and the buyer bought the property knowing about this issue there is not really any likelihood that the court would say you owed the buyer this money. It would not be fair.

Had this been hidden from the buyer that would be a different matter but in fact the buyer did get what they paid for.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?