Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My son-in-law had signed a lease agreement for 2 yrs

Customer Question

My son-in-law had signed a lease agreement for 2 yrs begining Jan 2016 with his landlord. However, because I bought a bigger and better house, they are moving to my house.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: The landlord has threatened with legal action for breaching the contract. In Calgary, Albert
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: There were several problems in the house, mold, mice infestation, garage not safe as her things were lyig around.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no not yet she hasnt filed anything
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Has your son-in-law asked for repairs and dealing with the pest infestation in writing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not earlier but had inormed them a month back

The only way your son-in-law can use the pest and mold as an excuse is if the demand to rectify the situation is made in writing and the landlord refuses.

Otherwise your son-in-law will be bound by the lease and can be sued for the rest of the rent for the remaining term of the lease.

At the same time the landlord has a duty to mitigate damages and must take all reasonable steps to find a new tenant and if the landlord finds a new tenant then your son-in-law will be off the hook and only owe what damages the landlord suffered if any.

Does that clarify the law?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.