Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

I need to know - I got marry in cuba 2 years ago, now I need

Customer Question

Hi, I need to know - I got marry in cuba 2 years ago, now I need to process my divorce but i leave in Canada.. If i processed my divorce in cuba by a power of attorney is that divorce valid here in Canada?
JA: Have formal divorce proceedings begun? At what stage of the process are you?
Customer: no i haven started anything yet
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just want to know if getting a divorce by a power of attorney is valid here in Canada, if not that will mean that i have to travel to Cuba to process the divorce
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

I can't tell you if you can get a divorce in Cuba by hiring counsel there or through a power of attorney.

But if you were married in Cuba and have a divorce order or decree issued from a court in Cuba, it would be considered valid in Canada.

The only way in which the divorce wouldn't be considered valid in Canada would be if the marriage itself isn't considered valid in Canada, in which case you're not considered married under Canadian law in the first place.

Does that make sense?