Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

We have an employee (teacher at private school), who's

Customer Question

We have an employee (teacher at private school), who's contract has her at 75% of full time. We are looking to increase her hours. Is 30 hours/week the government's threshold for full time? We thought it was 37.5 or even 40 hours/week. What are our requirements as an employer?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Oh, are you in the U.S.? Shoot. This is in Ontario, Canada.
JA: No. I'm the Lawyer's Assistant. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not at all.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Yes this is a US based website but you're on the Canada Law category. I'm an Ontario lawyer.

30 hours or more is considered to be full time.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/concepts/definitions/labour-class03b

If the employee is going from less than thirty to more than thirty hours then it would considered to going to full time. If the employee is already at 30 hours per week and is on a salary, then the hours can be increased without any problem. However, the employment contract needs to be checked carefully. If the contract very specifically says "30 hours per week" then raising that number could be considered a breach of a fundamental term.

Does that make sense?