Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I have experienced two adverse reactions to medication that

Customer Question

I have experienced two adverse reactions to medication that was prescribed for me. I became extremely ill. The medications were prescribed at different times but collectively they caused a major adverse reaction. I landed up in the emergence department with heart attack and stroke symptoms. I was admitted to hospital and diagnosed with having had a stroke. I am a registered nurse Bachelor of Health Science ( Nursing). From my nursing experience I sensed that I had not had a stroke. I kept telling my care givers as well as the doctors that I had not suffered a stroke. They all ignored me and treated me as if I had, a stroke. I was discharged with all the symptoms that I had been admitted for. My blood pressure was still fluctuating at a dangerous rate. I was so scared I did not know what to do. Fortunately my daughter is a doctor. She monitored me closely and diagnosed me as having the serotonin syndrome. This is when a number of medications react adversely when taken. I then went to see my family doctor. I told him that my daughter had made the diagnoses of serotonin syndrome. He asked me what is that? He then looked it up on his smart phone. He did not know what to do. My daughter helped me readjust my medications. I went back to my doctor and presented him with my new prescription, that I had figured out. He politely made a copy and prescribed the medications as I had revised. And told me to give a copy to the pharmacist. So I lived to tell the tale. What about the patients that don't have the skills that I have. And can't advocate for themselves. This happened in 2012. I put it aside. I have now experienced a similar situation and still in recovery. Again my daughter and I figured out what the problem is. I realized that if it is happening to me it is probably happening to others. They may actually die.
I don't want to sue anybody. I just want to save lives. I am seeking your advice as to how I can move forward with this. Who is responsible for this? The doctor, the pharmacist or the drug companies.
Thank you for your time.
Lurline Kester
( 705 )(###) ###-####
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

I am terribly sorry to hear that this happened to you. You are very lucky to have such a brilliant daughter.

It is good that you don't want t sue as it is too late to do that as you had to sue within two years of this happening.

But it is not clear that you would have won a lawsuit because it seems that all of the parties you mention were essentially in agreement and if that is the case there is no judge or even regulatory body that would fault anyone. Things are not always perfect and someone is liable not when they make a mistake but only if they are negligent or the care they provide is below standards. So if a diagnosis is difficult to make then no one would be said to have been at fault.

At the same time you just want to be sure that this does not happen again and so I suggest one approach is to contact the media, explain what happened and that you are now strong enough to speak out and want to do so to save lives just as your daughter saved yours.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am extremely disappointed in your response. It is evident that you do not understand that the treatment I received was extremely negligent. I told you that I was discharged with the same symptoms that I was admitted for. Fluctuating blood pressure that was dangerously high. I could have then really had a stroke or even worse died. That is why it is negligent. The poor care was that they continued to treat me as a stroke victim when I had not had a stroke. They gave me the wrong care. That put me at further risk. How can it be a mistake.
Sadly I cannot give you a 5star rating. You have been no help at all. I want my full refund. The worse outcome is that others will continue to die.
Presently I am in recovery. I was discharged last week on Wednesday with a sky high blood pressure and extreme oedema. That is out right negligence. I could have died. How would you like to be in my situation.
You have succeeded in igniting anger. I am now considering suing somebody or everybody.
Respectfully,
Lurline.
n
Expert:  Debra replied 6 months ago.

First I am just a lawyer and not a doctor. Second what I said is that if there are doctors at a hospital and a family doctor and a pharmacist who all miss this it will not be likely that you can prove negligence and in fact I don't believe you will. I am not a doctor but I am a senior lawyer and have been a lawyer since 1985. I am giving you a realistic and honest answer and not the one you want to hear.

As well, it is not possible to sue as the limitation period for suing is 2 years and you missed it.

So what you are saying, while I understand it is out of anger is not rational and you should reread this answer and my other when you are calmer. You cannot sue and if you did the chances of winning are not at all good.

But you were harmed and you want others to know and I suggested how you can do that.

There is no need to be rude and hostile to me. I did not cause the situation and I am trying to help on a Sunday.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have nothing more to say to you. Please give me a full refund. Thanks.