Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

My question: I lived with my common law partner for many

Customer Question

Hello, my question:
I lived with my common law partner for many years, were not together anymore, we own
a house TOGETHER (both names on the title) its been 9-10 months now and he still hasn't sold the property. can i FORCE the house sale? so i can get my money from him and move on?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Yes, if your name is ***** ***** and he won't co-operate or take steps to agreed to a buy out of your interest and then follow through, you can get an order from the court to determine the equalization of the "family property" and order that the home be sold, or that you get exclusive possession of the home, or be allowed to dispose of the home without his input or permission.

While it's not particularly difficult to get such orders, the paperwork needs to be done very specifically and correctly so I strongly recommend that you go see a lawyer for help. Even if that lawyer just prepares the documents for you, that's a great start and usually good value for the money.

Does that make sense?

Did you read what I wrote? Did it help?

Anything else to discuss?

If I've answered you fully, may I please have a positive service rating? Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers.

Ulysses