Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Need advice regarding goods damaged by leaking storage unit.

Customer Question

Need advice regarding goods damaged by leaking storage unit. Please call(###) ###-#### Storage was in BC and info too long to text. Thanks. ***** *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A moving quote went over the original amount and they held our goods in their storage locker. Once the move was paid of and because the locker is in BC and we live in Alberta we were unable to get back until now to retrieve our goods. I discovered yesterday that the locker is an uninsulated old moving trailer. There are holes in the roof and our furniture has delamination from the moisture and will need to be refinished.

How much will it cost you to do the repairs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have not got any quotes yet as I just arrived in Calgary and have to unload. My estimate would be around 20 thousand.

This is a terrible story. I am so sorry to hear it.

I suggest that you send them a letter at once stating that you will be seeking compensation from them as soon as you find out how much the repairs will cost.

Then get three quotes if possible.

Then write them again and tell the what you require for reimbursement for the costs and give them a deadline for complying. Tell them if they fail to do so you will be commencing legal proceedings and then will be seeking interest and your costs.

You can the sue them in Small Claims Court (for up to $25000) and can self-represent. If it gets that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I can assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?