Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

I am separating from my common law husband, and we own a

Customer Question

Hi! I am separating from my common law husband, and we own a small incorporated business together. He wants me to take less and less percentage of company as time passes and we do not have a shareholder agreement in place. As far as it stands we are 50/50 according to the bank and any other paperwork so far. I need to know my rights, as well as how to go about a shareholder agreement.
JA: Because civil law varies by state, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Grande Priaire albertta
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Oh, I am the only legal driver of our leased 2012 f350. He claims is his but is not covered by company insurance due to his bad driving record
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that this is happening.

Why is he taking this position?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He's using the excuse that all of the money used was his not ours now. Even though dispite my offers to get a job, he didn't want me to and always made it known it's our money not just his.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I just want to know my rights and what my position should be. I left a career for him and started this business and keep it afloat on the administrative side especially on top of labor all last winter and summer.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 7 days ago.

So are you saying that you did contribute to the corporation by your effort so that you worked for the corporation for free?

And was there an agreement that you would both own the corporation equally and he would put in money and you would put in your time and effort instead of working elsewhere for pay?

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 days ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.