Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I signed a contract for a Home Security System and decided

Customer Question

I signed a contract for a Home Security System and decided after 1 day it wasn't for me. I had 10 days to back out. They told me I only had 3 days to back out. I am very unhappy with this company; VIVINT. My 10 days is now up and they still won't let me out of the contract. They say I have to pay $1660.13 as a pay out. This is not acceptable. I hope you can help me.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

What province is this please?

How told you that you had 10 days to change your mind?

Did you sign up when a sales person came to your house?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The contract said I had 10 days. I live in Canada. I took over the system from a lady I bought her house from. A rep came out from Vivint to with the take over. He also told me I had 10 days to cancel

And now are they saying that didn't actually happen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wanted out of the contract. I was within the 10 days but they wouldnt let me out. They said I had to pay $1660.13 to get out of the contract. I was within my time limit and shouldn't have to pay.

But what I am asking is whether they said that the sales person did not tell you that you had ten days.

What province is this please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Vivint did not say the sales person did not tell me I had 10 days. The contract said I had 10 days. I live in BC CAnada.

I understand.

I suggest that you send them a letter by Registered Mail. In the letter set out the facts, making it clear that the sales rep and the contract itself specified 10 days to cancel and you did cancel in time (explain when exactly and how you did this.)

Tell the you consider the contract to be at an end if they don't agree you are happy to have a court decide.

The court will agree with you based on the fact. And if they sue (and they would be foolish to do so) it would be in Small Claims Court and you could self-represent. If it got that far and you find you need some help as you go through the process you can always post on this site again and I could assist you further.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help. How much do I owe you? When I put through my Mastercard at the beginning, it said it was declined.

I don't know how payment to the site works.

If you rate me the site will pay me. If something has gone wrong with your credit card I assume they will contact you.

I don't work for the site. I just log in the way you do and see a list of questions and choose which to answer.

Thanks!

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?