How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 99473
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After completing a construction job, where I'm a sub

Customer Question

After completing a construction job, where I'm a sub contractor, I have not received payment for 3 months. What are my options
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

What province are you in please?

How much are you owed?

When did you substantially complete the work?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ontario, 50k, and Yes
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

The last question was actually asking when did you complete the work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
30th of june
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately, you are too late to register a lien on title as you had to do so within 45 days of substantially completing the work.

As well, the amount you are owed is high and you cannot sue in Small Claims Court but have to sue in superior court.

That means that it is best to retain a lawyer to sue for you as the law is complex.

As a first start a lawyer should send a demand letter to the contractor giving the contractor a deadline for paying you in full and threatening a lawsuit.

If that doesn't work and it likely will if the contractor can afford to pay you, you would then start a lawsuit.

Once you get a judgment you can enforce it by seizing assets, garnishing payments being made to the contractor etc.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Related Canada Law Questions