Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

We have an offer to purchase on a house with the purchasers

Customer Question

We have an offer to purchase on a house with the purchasers renting the house while they get their financing. The contract ends at the end of November this year and they decided that they would move out of the house and not pay rent. We have given them reduced rent for ten months now with the remainder of the rent due when they get the financing. What course of action do we have. The house is in Alberta Canada
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

So are you saying there was a firm offer and an acceptance of the offer and now, not only do they owe you money but they said they are not going to adhere to the agreement and close the deal?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

You can sue them to comply with the terms of the agreement and for the rent that they owe you.

At the same time you are required to try and mitigate your damages so you have to do all you can to sell the house again. If you find a new buyer the current purchasers will be liable to you for any costs you incurred in finding these buyers and any damages you suffer so if you have to sell the house for less, for example, they will owe you the difference.

And of course they owe you what rent they still owe that has not been paid.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 8 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?