Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

What is the responsibility of the board/condo management

Customer Question

What is the responsibility of the board/condo management company with regard to pest control on the exterior of the building? I understand we have INTERIOR monthly pest control/monitoring. I have mice in my main floor unit; I hired a pest control company who have been working on the problem since September 3;, traps were set and cleaned out on subsequent visits (3). Now I have baby mice, apparently they were nesting while the cleaning was being done. The exit points were identified on the first visit. T he pest control person believes they are in the heating vents along the floor and probably in neighbouring units. I have not contacted my neighbours, but I did advise the property management company twice, no response. Last night (Oct 15) I put a copy of those emails under the door of a board member. No response.
I believe I've been responsible and done everything I can to mitigate my losses / problem. But I sense that the board and management company have chosen to ignore it because there is a mouse problem in the building - not just in my unit. I don't want to be aggressive with them as they will just put their backs up and become accusatory w
What else can I do? My mortgage has been paid off for years, I l have an income of just under $34000.00 so funds are limited
Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 days ago.

The board owes all owners a duty of care and also must maintain the common elements. The condo corp owns the common elements and so the corp must pay for their maintenance and this includes keeping them pest free.

The board is required to ensure that no owner is harmed because of some fault with a common element and this includes pest control.

So you are correct in telling the management company they should be addressing this and if the ignore you then you should be sending a letter directly to the Board.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.