Debra, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is it legal that I can secretly tape record a grievance

Customer Question

Hi, is it legal that I can secretly tape record a grievance complaint with a store manager without his knowledge?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ontario, Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing right now, but I will answer any questions
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

There is nothing unlawful about making an audio recording so long as one party to the conversation consents. So if you are part of the conversation then it is not unlawful to make the recording.

That is not the say that your employer will believe it is OK it is just that it is not against the law to do this.

If you end up in court the recording will be admissible as evidence if it is relevant.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Debra replied 7 months ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?