Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

My father died and left a trust to take care of my mother

Customer Question

My father died and left a trust to take care of my mother and a will regarding his estate. What rights to information do I have at this time from the executor of the estate?
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ontario Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Non of the beneficiaries has received any information regarding the trust or the will.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What is the fee for this consultation?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: I am worried about what is expected because I do not have a lot of money.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there a document which identifies the rights of a beneficiary regarding release of information of their inheritance?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry for your loss and sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

When did your father die?

Did he have assets in his name alone?

Do you know if you are a beneficiary under the Will?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Am listed as a beneficiary. One of 5 children. Money left to me in trust. Father named two trustees to each inheritance. The beneficiary and one sibling. If I die, what happens to money in my trust fund. Does it belong to my estate for my children or does the sibling have some claim to it. Father died 5 years ago. I have a copy of his will. States we can change trustees if we wish. Regardless of trustee, I am concerned with the funds if I should die. Other than the trust fund, all else is left to my mother until her death. My brother is executor of the estate and trustee of the mothers trust fund. After becoming trustee and executor, he then took mother to a doctor, had her declared fit, and then got her to change her will so that he got a share of the common property. I question the legitimacy of this move even though mother was declared mentally fit? this was against fathers wishes because he gave other properties to my brother before father died. Brother was not on the deed to the other properties. Mother and 4 sisters were to get that but mother handed her share to brother after Dr declared her fit. She was well into her 80's at that time. I feel that pressure was put on her to make that change as brother had constant contact with mother. Any comments would be appreciated. Also, if there is to be a contest are you available? The estate should be valued between $2-$3 million, possibly more.

There are too many issues for one post. I can answer the questions about your mother's Will and estate but only on a separate post.

I will deal with your original question here but first need to know a few things.

Does the Will say this is an absolute discretionary trust?

Also, what does the Will say about your trust funds after you die? It must say something.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will locate the will and look for the information. It will be possibly tomorrow by the time I am able. Is that a problem?

It is completely fine. I am pretty well around all the time. Don't rush.