Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

When a written proposal is submitted to a government agency,

Customer Question

When a written proposal is submitted to a government agency , do your words automatically become copy-rite protected?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Alberta Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Great , I appreciate your dialogue.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will elaborate.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 15 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

All creative work is automatically owned by the creator who does hold a copyright to that work unless the creator was employed and doing the work in the course of employment and then the employer holds the copyright.

But ideas cannot be copyrighted so if you are asking about an idea that is a different matter.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I am a small business in Calgary Alberta.I was driving on our major highway and saw a billboard for lease.
One was selling for $8,000 / month. I drove a block away and saw the government hospital parkade , bare concrete wall facing the highway , 5 stories high , a 1/4 mile long , the surface area could accomodate 40 billboards ! 40 commercial billboards with advertizing would be ugly and is not Canadian (I'm told) Commercial signage ugly !
My idea was to incorporate a theme mural depicting respect and appreciation to health care. a Pictorial representation of our Medi-vac helicoptor , our local athletes giving time at the hospital , a local celebrity playing guitar on a patients bedside.
The Health care Mural would enable corporate sponsorship , a Corporation with a tax problem federally to write off in the name of corporate sponsorship support for the local hospital.
The money therefore stays in the province for health care instead of leaving the province in the form of Federal taxation.
Since this was written in my original proposal to the government . does my ides , specifically involving The Calgary Flames Hockey Club , The Calgary Stampeders Football Club , STARS Helicoptor , become my COPYRITE PROTECTED ,
Intellectual Property ?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
OK - I see how this works now.
My fault , I should have known that free advise is never free !
Cash my $5 , but no I'm not playing the game of insert more dollars and we'll answer more questions !
Because you are US based , your right , your lawyers are unlikely well suited to my Canadian inquiries.
Please forward my $5 receipt by email and destroy ALL credit reference.
Respectfully ***** ***** ****

I am a senior practicing lawyer in Canada.

I don't know what you paid the site or what more you are being asked to pay.

I don't work for the site

I just log into the site the way you do and see a list of questions that I can choose from to answer. I choose the ones that I can answer based on my expertise.

Do you want to continue to work with me or not?

But I do know that you are not only going to be able to pay $5 and this is not a free site nor do I work for free.

So I provided an answer already but I don't get paid unless you rate me positively and if you ask for a refund my stats are harmed just the way they will be if you rate me negatively so I would rather stop now if you are not going to pay more than the initial deposit.