Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

Is a will that was written up by a lawyer in 1997 who was

Customer Question

is a will that was written up by a lawyer in 1997 who was later disbarred for trust fund fraud still valid????
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Yes the Will is valid.

It doesn't even have to have been drafted by a lawyer.

But if the person has not died it would be best for them to consider having the Will reviewed by another lawyer. That would be true no matter what this first lawyer did as it has been a long time and laws and facts change of course.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am going to another lawyer for a review of the present one - can I be confident enough that it is still legal, also powers of attorney - the previous lawyer is alive but I believe the firm is no longer is existence

As long as the Will was done correctly it will be fine. Wills are not complicated and I assume the lawyer knew how to do one but it is good to have it reviewed.

The law has changed substantially in terms of substitute decision makers. You may need to redo the two POAs documents.