How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Debra Your Own Question
Debra, Lawyer
Category: Canada Law
Satisfied Customers: 97987
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Canada Law Question Here...
Debra is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

CANADIAN IMMIGRATION HELP The following is my fiend's

Customer Question

The following is my fiend's current status in Canada:
- Indian citizen aged 32 from Abu Dhabi
- Recent graduate from an 8 month diploma from a medical technical college in Toronto. A 2 year initial study permit and visa was issued to her from UAE.
- She currently holds a study work permit valid till October 2017 (issued to her for her 2 month work experience part of her college curriculum)
- She is a graduate since August 10 with diploma in Medical Administration with ECG and Phlebotomy
The current plan is to:
- Make best use of the 90 days grace period for the post grad work permit.
- The plan is to have her obtain a job as a (NOC# *****) Medical administrative assistant or (NOC# *****) Administrative assistant. Upon receiving a job offer prior to the 90th day will check apply online for the 1 year post grad work permit to legally work for the employer.
Long term plan
- To use that 1 year experience in applying under Canadian Experience Class for her PR
Current job status:
- Difficulty in obtaining a job in any of the 2 occupation field listed
- The only offer she has currently is from an International courier company as a customer representative. She has declined the offer for now but would seriously consider it if she receives no other job offer prior to the 90 days expiration to apply for post grad permit. Should this potential situation occur, my question is:
- Since this position would not count under the Canadian Experience Class, is there any other chance that her experience as a Customer Service Rep counts towards her PR application in the future such as Points or any other PR category?
- What other suggestions may you have for her considering her situation? We are open to any other suggestions that will eventually assist her to immigrate to Canada. Ive heard from other lawyers that she should apply again for a study permit and join a college for an 8 months diploma , so that when graduates again, she can apply for a post grad permit that would be for 3 years. This will allow her time to be in Canada.
On a side note, she currently has 61 points vs the required 67 to apply under a Canadian Federal skilled worker.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

Being a customer service rep will not help her gain points for PR unfortunately.

It seems that her best shot is to try and get a job offer, perhaps even at a reduced wage for a while, in her field. It may be that the employer where she is doing her internship will agree to keep her on?

If not she may need to pursue further education unfortunately. I know that it is very expensive for her to do this.

I wish I had a better answer. But she should think about how hard it is to get a job in her field now. It won't get better even if she gets her PR status so she would consider what her future will be like here in any event. So further education may be worth it.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your response. Are there any other immigration categories she can immigrate under?If she does take more studies:- would an 8 month diploma in Aesthetics/ Beautician count towards her 2 year study points under the federal skilled inluding her previous Admin diploma?
- Her study permit expires next August and once she graduates is she eligible for a 3 year post grad work permit immediately considering her previous Admin diploma and now Aesthetics diploma?What other options would you recommend?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

I don't believe that this second career path would be considered for skilled worker as it is not in the correct level of category as far as I can see but perhaps I am misunderstanding what the course is in.

I also don't believe that two diploma programs can be combined that way. It is OK to combine two degrees such as a undergraduate degree and then a masters. It is also OK to do a degree and then a one year diploma a course but I don't believe two diploma courses can be considered together.

I don't know of any other options.

I think she needs to sit down with an immigration lawyer face to face and review all her facts in some detail.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How about the post grad permit? Im told that if she takes the second diploma and gradutes she get a 3 year post grad permit instead of 1 year- can you confirm that?
Expert:  Debra replied 5 months ago.

That is what I was referring to. I don't think you are correct for two diploma courses.

Related Canada Law Questions