Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I retired from the City of Toronto Jan 31st 2016. I was a

Customer Question

HI, I retired from the City of Toronto Jan 31st 2016. I was a shop Forman in Fleet services.
I did not take my tools when retired because in the past no one did on the day of retirement, some left their tools for up to 1 year before removing them. I had intentions of retrieving them April when I got back from vacation, however there was afire in the building in March, the insurance company took all the tool boxes including mine without my permission they open my box dump out my tool and sent me an email with the list of tools they would replace, I phone them and they agreed that there was a mistake and revise the list, I contacted them tabout two weeks later for the revision, he said he would get it to me.
I called him back two weeks after that and he ask me if I was retired and I said yes he then went on to say my tools were not covered, I ask why he said it was City policy so I ask for a copy of that policy he never sent it to me. I went to the building to have a look to find my tools are not there, I contact them and they said they would investigate and get back to me.
I spoke to the guys at work and they said the insurance company sold all the tools that were in the fire, they ask the individual if my tools were included he said all the tools.
I sent an email today to the insurance company today asking what was happening with my tools, their response was if my tools are not there then I should report it to my insurance company. I did not authorize them to open my box, they did it on their own, then sold them.
What legal action can I take with this
Thank you
Aubrey Pereira
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

How much were the tools worth?

Did your employer say you could leave your tools there?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you,
You can respond tomorrow if that is easier for you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please call me tomorrow, would you like me to do the deposit now or tomorrow?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry I just saw your question,
The tools were worth $25,000.00.
They never said I could but they never had a policy in place stating all personal items were to be removed the day of retirement, also they knew I was retired but went ahead and broken in to my box. They also said my tools were Ina secure area for my pick up
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In my opinion they were part of the sale and unable to retrieve them

So they told you when you left them that they were being kept in a secure spot even though they never said specifically you could leave them there and in any event everyone seemed to leave them there for some time?

Is that it?

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No problem, i contact someone in my area.
Thanks for all your helpAubrey

Okay. I hope this works out.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

Anytime.