Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

I live in a condo (townhouse format built around 1970) in

Customer Question

I live in a condo (townhouse format built around 1970) in Ottawa. The Board has decided that ALL front doors must be replaced. The belief is that the new replacement doors are required by law (condominium act) to be about 1" wider than the current doors. This of course means that the whole door frame assembly must be replaced as well as the door.My belief is that since the current doors are being replaced on the unit, the replacement is deemed maintenance and is therefore exempt from the requirement that the door width measurment be increased.How much will you charge me to find out if I am right or wrong in this belief?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Why does it cost to find out a price???
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: In Ottawa.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Ontario.,
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What sort of paper work? And filed by whom?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I'm sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Are you saying that they believe the doors need to be replaced and so they want them to comply or are they thinking that the doors have to be replaced so that they comply now but that otherwise they would not have to comply?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let us simplify. Do replacement front doors on a condo (as already described) NEED to be made wider. Or, can the replacement door be of the same size as the one being replaced. Is there a legal requirement here.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't DO talk. If you can't put it in writing then f**king go away.