Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I was employed for over a year in british Columbia, the

Customer Question

I was employed for over a year in british Columbia, the owner sold the business. three weeks later I was laid off. am I still entitled to severance pay?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.
I am sorry to hear this.Are you in the union?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
Are you saying that your former employer did not provide termination pay and your new employer doesn't think that they have to either?Whas your former employer a corporation?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No phone call can not afford and no not a union and not corperate

The law is that this is considered to be a continuous employment situation.

That means that your current employer has to treat you as if you had been working there for over a year. In other words they have to take the three weeks plus how long you worked for your former employer for.

So you are most assuredly entitled to termination pay and that has to be based on working there for over one year.

Does that answer your question fully?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?