Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

My son-in-law is currently in prison. Our daughter has been

Customer Question

My son-in-law is currently in prison. Our daughter has been talking with a new lawyer about doing an appeal. Is there a template form to request a transfer of files to a new lawyer from the previous lawyer? My daughter says the form needs to be faxed to the prison so he can sign and fax back. Is this correct?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

I assume that your daughter is talking to a new criminal lawyer about an appeal of her husband's conviction.

Since the lawyer's client is your son in law, then it's clear that the son in law needs to sign a direction instructing his former counsel to send the file to the new counsel, if that new counsel is willing to take the file.

Your daughter has arranged this, but her husband is still the client and he absolutely needs to sign that instruction for the old and for the new lawyer.

Does that answer your question? if so, may I please have a positive service rating? Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers.

Did my answer help? Anything else to discuss about this?