Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice

I worked for a Member of Parliament for 12 years. On April

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** I worked for a Member of Parliament for 12 years. On April 22, 2016 I was let go. I was told that it was not personal, that I had done nothing wrong and that he still considered me a friend and that he would give me a good reference. He told me the reason for me being let go was "restructuring". That was it I had to pack up my desk at 2:00 pm on a Friday and be escorted out. I had done nothing wrong to warrant being let go and he confirmed that I had done nothing wrong to be let go, it was simply "restructuring". I had just went thru a federal election in October 2015 and there was no indication that my job was in jeopardy at that time. I have been with this member since 2004 and I was a friend and was promised to be taken along with him for the ride of him being member of parliament. I have gone through many elections with this member and always maintained my job, 12 years. This last October election I would naturally have assumed the same thing. I have no blemishes on my work performance in all 12 years, none. A local lawyer in our area this last election came into the mix and took a great role in the whole process, apparently he has eventual hopes of becoming a judge, hearsay, however his wife has now taken my job position, she sits in my desk and does my job. It had always been implied that I was going to go along with my member as long as he was member of parliament. I believe a handshake deal behind the scenes at the last election was made and it cost me my job. I am having a difficult time finding a new job as this area geographically is small and it seems that everyone knows my member and the fact that he hired someone else to do my job, it leaves people wondering what I must have done wrong. I am suffering all of this and I am NOT happy to be thrown to the curb for absolutely no reason, especially when I was very good at my job, people loved me and I am missed. I do not believe that a person should be able to get away with this kind of behavior. I was let go for NO reasons at all but "restructuring" I am embarrassed and I feel a civil suit warrants this member to explain how and why he let me go???????
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when was the warrant issued?
Customer: Ontario
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: NO I am finally angry about how I was treated and I am going to continue to look for a lawyer that sees what has taken place is wrong and shouldn't be swiped under the carpet, member of parliament or not.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My stress level looking for another job is of the charts and I am very worried that potential employers will always wonder why I was let go, they will never understand the political arena and how people lives are messed with, with nothing more than a promise or handshake, it is NOT fair and it shouldn't be allowed to happen.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 23 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

How much termination pay were provided in terms of months?

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 22 days ago.

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.