Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice
28667836

We are selling our house. There is a lein on our house due

Customer Question

We are selling our house. There is a lein on our house due to my husbands business from CRA. After mortgage is paid out and the CRA wants their money. Am I the spouse entitle to half of that money if it is my husbands account instead of the cra taking it all?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ontario
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: cra has an arbitrary figure of 230 thousand that my husband owes. we have to remember this is just a figure as accountants are working on his 15 year past taxes. but in saying this when our house sells they are going to come in and take that 230 thousand. are they legally allowed to take the 230 or do I get half of that money and they only can take 115 thousand. as we all know once all the years are complete that amount is fictitious and they will reimburse the difference.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I'm sorry to hear of this difficult situation.

Are your names on title jointly?

Did you get a chance to read my questions to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!