Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I signed a child support agreement without consulting a

Customer Question

I signed a child support agreement without consulting a lawyer. We were never married or common law. Can I renegotiate this agreement
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 30 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Yes you can. No agreement with respect to children etched in stone.

When the court makes a decision about custody and access it is always based on the best interests of the child. So a contract for custody and access would not matter.

When a court makes a decision about child support there is actually not that much discretion in most cases because the Federal Child Support Guidelines provide what support must be paid. A contract will not bind a court because child support is the right of the child and so a contract cannot be used to affect the rights of a child.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 29 days ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?