Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I live in province Q. I have received an order issued ex

Customer Question

I live in province Q. I have received an order issued ex parte to be present to court in province O.
Do I have to go personally or can I have an attorney represent me without having to travel and be personally present in court?.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

What is this about?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I received an order for contempt of court in an intellectual property matter. The order is addressed to me personally.
I Live in Canada, Province Q. I am ordered to present myself before the federal court in T in another province.Must I be present personally or can I have an attorney represent me, avoiding me to travel? Or can I get the hearing in my city rather than travel.

Did you breach a court order?

Is Federal Court sitting in Toronto?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I may have breached an order. The court is sitting in Toronto

What you can do is retain a lawyer in Toronto.

The lawyer can attend on your behalf and ask to represent you while you remain in Quebec or you can attend by way of web or teleconference.

If the court denies this the lawyer will ask for an adjournment.

It is vital that you do retain a lawyer. If you miss this hearing a bench warrant will be issued for your arrest. And for contempt you can be fined but ultimately can be jailed. So this is now very serious.

You can contact the Law Society and use their Lawyer Referral Service. You will be given the name of a lawyer and can consult with the lawyer and the first half hour will be free.

The number is:

1-***-***-**** or(###) ###-####(within the GTA)

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 29 days ago.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?