Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My emolyer let me go without cause. I was at senior

Customer Question

My emolyer let me go without cause. I was at senior position. It was a bad company and things said at the time of my hiring were lies. My concerns were never addressed and one day without any heads up/notice... I was let go
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Ontario After my departure, internally email was sent that nothing was well with me and I was let go which spreader rumours internally and things got out in the market (my sector is quite small) which is making difficult to find a job
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Filed and reported? With the lawyer?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My severance package.... They keep extending the date at last minute notice and have not reached to conclusion
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

How long did you work for them for?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was there for a year and half.

I am sorry but I cannot speak to you on the telephone. I know the site offers this service but the site is based in the US. As I am a lawyer in Canada the rules of my law society prohibit me from speaking to you on the telephone as you are not my client.

I can only speak to you by posting up and back over this site.

And are you saying that they actually told lies about you in that email?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was hired with many promises which turned out to be pure lies. I raised a number of concerns during my employment (e.g responsibilities were different than what inward hired for) but none of them were ever concerned. My performance was not the issue until the last day when suddenly I was let go. No cause was given. I was hired with the promise to get to next level. Right before my departure (1 week before) my company said, we cannot support you for next level because we do not have business case. I wasn't expecting it either because I wanted to do well in my own role. Just after a coupe of days, during the next meeting they mentioned that it would be better if I leave the firm and take time to find an opportunity and firm will help me. 2 days later we met again and during that meeting HR was there and I was let go. We were discussing the severance package and they missed two dates when they were supposed to get back to me. Internally rumours are being spread which are getting out the firm and making it impossible to find a job. I wouldn't be ablentomfomdnsimilar job because at my level leaving in a short period of time is concerning to other people and one factor that they will not hire me. I never expected rumours but there was a wide circulation which was negative about me and was shared broadly among my coworkers.

But did they tell actual lies about you or just state their own negative opinions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All I know through coworkers that negative things said about me. They are lies because performance was the issue but yes I had issues with the conduct caries out by the firm but my concerns during my time were never addressed. I do not know word to word but know email was sent out stating negative stuff about me and my departure from the firm.

In terms of termination pay you are entitled to receive reasonable notice or pay in lieu of notice.

Generally, in determining what is reasonable notice Courts look at several factors including the length of time you worked for the employer, your age, your position, the likelihood of finding new employment etc.

At the high end, if you were in a managerial position, the Court would likely order one month's notice or pay in lieu of notice for each year of employment. If you were not in a managerial position the Court would order somewhat less.

If they are telling lies about you then you can also sue them for defamation and in this case the damages would be significant because the lies are impeding on your ability to get another job.

For these reasons you should consult with a lawyer at once and not continue to discuss anything with them until you do.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Last question, yes I was in a executive position, sole provider for my family with 3 kids, it is difficult or impossible to find the similar position. The internal communication (negative comments about my departure) have proven to be road blocks. I have requested for 5-6 months of pay. I am more upset about the rumours and how they have ruined my chance to find anything. What kind of settlement/outcome one can expect if one decide to sue the employer for these circumstances.