Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

My ex-husband died last month with a will which I was not

Customer Question

my ex-husband died last month with a will which I was not included. We were not divorced just legally separated for 23 years. Am I entitled to anything?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry for your loss.

What province are you in please?

Was your separation agreement and if so do to deal with your ex-spouse's estate?

Were you financially dependent on your ex husband at the time of his death?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not sorry for my loss, but thank you. I was not financially dependent on him ever. My daughter is the executor of the will and I feel I deserve $60.000 I lent his construction business and he claimed bankruptcy and opened a numbered company and the loan was never paid and that was 22 years ago. I feel this should be paid back to me out of the estate, which is very very substantial.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We were married for only 7 years if that is relevant. I want nothing from the estate but for the loan to be repaid

What happened to you is not fair but from a legal point of view you have no claim to make against the estate.

That claim had to be made by suing within two years of the debt arising and I know you could not because of the bankruptcy.

As well, the bankruptcy wiped out the debt.

He may have acted fraudulently and it sounds like he did but you had to address that back then and cannot legally address this now.

I wish I had a better answer for you.

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?