Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

We rent a house in Etobicoke, back in August/2016, our

Customer Question

Good evening! We rent a house in Etobicoke, back in August/2016, our landlord filed an application with the board to have us evicted by the end of September 2016 because the landlord said that he sold the property and that we would have to vacate the property by this time. We just found out today through a real estate agent that the house was not sold. We would like to know if we have any legal rights in this matter. Please advise as soon as possible. Thank you very much. Tony Iacobucci.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: We live in Etobicoke Ontario Canada
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: We no longer have a lease, it was just month to month. We initially leased this home to be an option to purchase agreement that did not work out for us.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, i think that's all for now. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I'm sorry to hear this.

Is he renting of the property to new tenants?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for responding to my question. No, he wants us to leave because he said that the property has been sold and that the new owners will be moving in on October/01st/2016.

Yes. I understand that he told you that you needed to leave because people are buying the house and want the house for themselves. What I'm asking is what is going to happen on October 1? Is he moving into the house, the house going to be standing empty, is he leasing it out to other tenants?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We're not sure if the new owner is going to move in or not.

If it turns out that he had lied and the house was not sold and new owners are not moving then you would go back to the landlord tenant board and they would order that the landlord compensate you for your being required to move.

In most cases the board will require that the landlord pay your moving expenses and on top of that if you are renting a comparable house but paying more the landlord will be required to reimburse you for the difference in the rent for the first year.

Does that answer your question ?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We still live in the house. Do we still have to move out by this date?

Unless you can prove to the Board that he has lied now and the house was not sold then yes.

If you can bring an urgent motion to the board and have the real estate agent testify that he lied you would be able to stay.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?