Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

The city recently took part of my land to build a bike path

Customer Question

Hi, the city recently took part of my land to build a bike path and did give me any compensenation
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Quebec
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The person from the city said that they have right everything after 5 feet of the road/sidewalk
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much does this cost??

I'm sorry to hear that this happened to you.

However, I believe what you are being told is that the city owns the first 5 feet from the road or sidewalk. It is not that the city took your property. They could not do that.

I suggest that you look at your survey or have the lawyer that did your real estate closing when you bought the house review it for you. But, in most major cities the way this works is the city owns the property from the road or sidewalk that appears to be part of your property but is not.

Do you see what I mean?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok so i have to review what is actually part of my land?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How much will i be charged?