Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
10263656

I'm in Guelph Ontario. If my commercial landlord has a "For

Customer Question

Good morning. I'm in Guelph Ontario. If my commercial landlord has a "For Lease" sign posted on the main door to the building we are in, and that sign is leading to loss of business on our part. Is there any recourse for us if the landlord refuses to compromise on placement or size of the sign?
Thanks.
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 3 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Why is this leading to loss of business?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks so much. Due to the placement of the sign and the size (it covers most of the front door to the building), customers think that we are closing, or have closed. Other tenants have said that they are experiencing similar comments from clients.

Have you spoken to the landlord about this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I sent the Property Management a letter asking fro some compromise but they refused to do so, stating that the coroplast sign is too expensive to replace or make smaller and there is nowhere else to post the sign. Coroplast signs are not overly expensive!!

I suggest that you send a letter to the landlord by Registered Mail. Set out the facts, explain how this is hurting you and other tenants.

State that if the sign is not removed by the end of the week you will retain a lawyer and seek a court order to have it removed and that at that point in time you will also be seeking damages for lost business and your legal costs.

I suggest trying to get all the other tenants that you know to do the same thing.

If that doesn't work you should have a lawyer send a letter threatening a lawsuit and then sue if necessary.

The lawyer may be willing to act for a group of you which would then keep down the fees.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** help. I was hoping not to have to resort to such drastic steps. Do you know if there is anything in the commercial tenancy act that prohibits a landlord from doing such a thing? We have had a couple of disputes in the past and just showing them the appropriate sections of the act or even city bylaws has helped us.

I don't think there is anything that helps aside from common law principles such as the landlord owes you a duty of care and he also has to make sure the premises allow you to do what you have contracted to be able to do.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?