Ulysses101
Ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience in Canada family law, plus criminal, civil, and employment
17441061

If you are dismissed by your employer and you request said

Customer Question

If you are dismissed by your employer and you request said employer as to the reason for you're dismissal, does the employer required to provide as to why?
Category: Canada Law
Expert:  Ulysses101 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

What province are you in? Can you tell me a little more about what happened? Don't use details that will identify you or the employer, please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Province of Ontario...the dismissal letter simply said for my performance (which I have never before been informed verbally or otherwise that my performance was below standards) and my personal file. Two years ago I insulted a fellow employee and was repromanded for same (I acknoledge the fact) however a year later my employer in an formal interview acknowledge that no further such behavior had occorred and that it was over. I send a letter to him asking for explanation and I received a phone call from the Personel Director who informed me that the employer would not respond to my request and that she had my personel file in hand and the only case on it was the one I just previously mentioned.

I see. That's unusual.

Strictly speaking, the employer doesn't have to give you any reason for termination. You will get a ROE which will say something of course.

Most times the employer will give you reasons, because if they don't give reasons they are inviting legal action for wrongful dismissal. This is your next step.

Go see a civil lawyer, one with some experience in employment law. Retain that lawyer to write them a letter demanding details and pay in lieu of notice for their wrongful termination.

From your details, I assume that you don't belong to a labour union. If I got it wrong and you do belong to a union then contact your steward or rep right away.

Does that make sense? I'm here if you have question or comment. If I've answered you, then may I please have a positive service rating? Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers.

Did my answer help? I'm still here.